Gamer's Guide to Black Friday
"Black Friday" was originally so named because of the heavy traffic on that day, although most contemporary uses of the term refer instead to it as the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).
With every year that goes by, the Black Friday hype machine continues to grow exponentially. It's you against the soccer mom's, and trust me... you need every advantage over those vixens! These moms were once the girls that started school yard fights where no rules applied - biting, scratching, eye gouging... etc...
The competition is tough as nails, and you can throw all the rules of society and law out the window.
You have to have a plan, a back up plan, and a back up to the back up plan...
Black Friday Organization Structure
The first order of business is deciding if you want to go it alone on Black Friday or assemble a team. Here are the pro's and con's to these various individual and team structures...
- Lone Wolf
- Definition: The Black Friday 'lone wolf' is a single individual who goes it alone on Black Friday. Like a Halo Swordsman, you could give a damn about teamwork!
- Alias: Ninja, Rambo, Halo Swordsman, Splinter Cell
- Favorite Quote: Who cares if there is no 'I' in 'TEAM'!
- Recommended Equipment: Warm clothes and a Nintendo DS
- Advantages: You da man
- Disadvantages: Lack of contact/intelligence could make or break your mission soldier
- Definition: The Black Friday 'Team' consists of more than one (1) individual working together to collaborate on Black Friday. Proper planning and communication is critical to divide and conquer the amazing deals out there.
- Alias: Zero Company, Counter Strike
- Favorite Quote: 'I love it when a plan comes together'
- Recommended Equipment:
- Bluetooth Headset: Annoy the hell out of soccer moms by wearing your bluetooth cell phone headset at all times. Constant communication is key, soldier!
- Camouflage pants: might freak people out a bit, but screw it!
- Advantages: Divide and conquer
- Fog of war, friendly fire, etc...
- You may be waiting in line for something you don't want.
- Central Command & Control
- Definition: The Black Friday 'Central Command & Control' takes the 'Team' structure to the next level. One member typically stays at home to collect Black Friday intelligence and shop all of the online deals, while the other members fan out and shop the brick and mortar stores. Communication is typically through the central command member.
- Alias: Hub & Spoke, Taxi Cab Service, KGB
- Favorite Quote:
- Soldier: 'They have just run out of the HD DVD player vouchers five soccer moms ahead of me'
- Central Command: 'Abort the mission, repeat... Abort!'
- Recommended Equipment:
- Brick and Mortar Soldier:
- Two Bluetooth Headsets: because you are a bad ass...
- Portable GPS: why not?
- Central Command:
- High performance PC with high speed connection
- Phone with caller id, call waiting and three way conference call (probably the only time you will ever use these local phone company 'bundled' features).
- Advantages: Online and Brick and Mortar Deals are all covered
- Disadvantages: If Central Command goes down, you may end up with lost Splinter Cells...
General Black Friday Tips
After you have decided what organization structure works for you, here are a few pretty straight forward tips to optimize your day:
- Start Early
- You know this drill... Like a console launch, the early bird gets the worm. BestBuy and Walmart are typically slammed early these days (3:00 a.m.). Don't be the person that drives up, sees the long line and then drives back home pissed off.
- It takes money to snag all of these good deals. First, make sure you have plenty of credit available on your credit cards. If cash is your thing, make sure to have more than enough available. Black Friday only comes around once a year, and if you have regrets, you can always return items. If carrying cash, make sure to get a hidden money belt. Criminals and thieves have been known to target shoppers during this time, so be prepared.
- Dress Warm
- Don't be the moron with a wind breaker in sub 50 degree weather. The soccer moms feed off of this stuff...
- Make Friends
- When you are not confiding with your team members or central command via your kick ass bluetooth headset(s), strike up a casual and friendly conversation with your fellow line standers. You might need them to hold your place in line if your Starbuck's Venti Mocha reminds you that your kids need to be dropped off at the pool.
- Strength in Street Knowledge
- Make sure to get the Thanksgiving newspaper complete with all of the coupons/etc... In addition, check all of the Black Friday deal sites out there to help in organizing your battle plan.
If you find any deals, or have a live report from the field, by all means please submit it (log in, then hit the big 'submit deals' button). Our comprehensive Black Friday list will be updated hourly as the deals stream in...
Good Luck from your buddies at the Gamerdeals.net Network!